What does it take to make a cake? A mix of diverse ingredients that come together to create something special.
Celebrate the 4th of July with this star-spangled Tres Leches flag cake. Topped with homemade whipped cream and fresh berries, it’s something everyone can enjoy.
Tres Leches Flag Cake
For Tres Leches Cake:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 large eggs, separated
- Pinch of cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup whole milk, divided
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¾ cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups blueberries
- 3 cups raspberries
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Grease an 11 x 7” baking pan with baking spray.
- In a medium bowl whisk to combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl or a stand mixer with the whisk attachment beat egg whites with cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Add sugar 1 tablespoon at a time until incorporated. Beat in egg yolks.
- Fold in flour mixture in 3 parts with a silicone spatula. Beat in ¼ cup milk just until combined.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, 25-30 minutes. Let cake cool in pan on a rack for 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl whisk together remaining ¼ cup milk, cream, and condensed milk.
- Poke cake all over with a skewer. Pour milk mixture over cake. Let cool completely, then cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to 12 hours.
- In a large bowl or a stand mixer with the whisk attachment beat cream, sugar, and vanilla until stiffly whipped but not grainy. Spread over cake in pan. Top with blueberries and raspberries in an American flag pattern. Serve immediately.