Harissa-Braised Paneer and Chickpeas
- 3 tablespoons preferred vegetable oil, divided
- 12 oz. Apple Farms Paneer, cut into ¾” cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1″ piece ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons harissa paste
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 15-oz. can chickpeas, drained
- Cooked couscous, for serving
- Chopped fresh parsley
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add paneer and cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides. Transfer to a plate.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to skillet, still over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and ginger and sauté until softened, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in harissa, salt, cumin, turmeric, coriander, cinnamon, and pepper and cook until harissa starts to brown on bottom of pan. Add tomatoes and ½ cup water, scraping any brown bits off the pan bottom.
- Transfer tomato mixture to a blender and puree until completely smooth. Return to same skillet and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Add browned paneer and chickpeas to tomato mixture and simmer gently for 10 minutes to bring flavors together.
- Serve over couscous and sprinkle with parsley.