Two magical words that are guaranteed to bring a smile to your face. There’s no denying that Americans love their cheese. And if you didn’t love it enough, here are five more facts about cheese that will take you to a happy place.
- Speaking of that giant smile, cheese is good for your teeth! Studies show that snacking on cheese or eating cheese immediately after a meal can minimize tooth decay.
- Even people with lactose intolerance can still enjoy cheese. Most hard cheeses are naturally low in lactose or contain no lactose at all, which means they’re easier to digest.
- About one-third of all milk produced in the United States each year is used to make cheese.
- The average American eats 23 pounds of cheese every year. That might sound like a lot, but it ends up being about 1 ounce of cheese each day — which falls within the recommended 3 daily servings of dairy.
- Mozzarella is the most popular cheese in America (in part because of all the pizza we eat!).
Cheese is a delicious, nutrient-rich food that can be part of a healthy diet that is lower in fat, calories and sodium. How you ask? The National Dairy Council explains how cheese and it’s nutrients offer health benefits and fill nutrient gaps.
Learn more by following the link below.