Chorizo Tortilla Soup
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1 tablespoon preferred vegetable oil
- 8oz Mexican chorizo
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 chipotle in adobo, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt, divided
- 14.5oz can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 15oz can chickpeas, drained
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 large avocado, pitted and thinly sliced
- ½ cup crumbled queso fresco
- 3 radishes, thinly sliced
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Preheat oven to 350℉.
- Brush both sides of tortillas lightly with oil. Cut tortillas into 2 x ¼” strips, spread out on a large baking sheet, and bake until crisp, 10-15 minutes.
- In a soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat, cook chorizo, stirring frequently, until cooked through and lightly browned. Add onion and sauté until softened, 6-8 minutes. Stir in garlic, chili powder, tomato paste, chipotle, and ½ teaspoon salt and cook, stirring, 1 minute more.
- Add tomatoes, broth, chickpeas, and corn. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook, covered, for 10 minutes.
- While soup cooks, in a medium saucepan combine red onion, vinegar, ½ cup water, sugar, and remaining ½ teaspoon salt. Cover, bring to a boil, then reduce heat slightly to simmer for 2 minutes. Take off heat, pour onions and brine into a bowl, and add 4 large ice cubes.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls and garnish with avocado, pickled onion, tortilla strips, queso fresco, radishes, and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges on the side.